Friday, September 2, 2011

Anvil

Every forge must have an anvil, here's mine.

Sometimes I wonder about fate and divine intervention. I decided I wanted to get back into blacksmithing. Right after this, several things "came" to me.

First we were on a short trip to Sacramento. We took the morning to go to the train museum in Old Town. There we went into one of the shops. They had a nice book on the blacksmithing craft. One of the best I have ever seen. I bought it.

Next I did a Yelp search for fire brick and found some good enough for a forge a few miles from home.

Finally I did a search on E-Bay for an anvil. One was there for $350.00 in Chico. Chico is close enough to drive. When you are trying to get hold of something that weighs 152 lbs., the shipping is really an issue. So for the cost of a tank of gas and $350.00 I got an anvil.

It's a nice anvil. Good ring. Classic shape.

It belonged to the sellers Dad. They both used it a little for this and that. It sounds like it's been in Northern California since this guy was a kid. So at least 40 years.

This weekend I will try to get the forge built and working. Maybe I'll be able to pound on some red hot steel!

No comments:

Post a Comment