Sunday, September 25, 2011

Now there are two

More FIRE!

Burner #2 running at 30 psi of propane
This morning it started raining so that pretty much put the damper on doing any work on the furnace box. After doing some work for a couple hours, I decided to go ahead and get burner number two going. As you can see here, it was a success.

Burners #1 & #2
There are a couple of differences worth noting. One, I used a coupler for liquid tight electrical conduit. Two, I used a 3/4 inch MIP to 3/8 inch compression reducer to hold the gas jet pipe. This was to improve on the DIY compression clamp I made out of the bored out hose barb.

The compression ring was cut with a hacksaw thus removing enough material to let it compress more and allowing it to be expanded of the threads of 1/8 inch brass pipe used for the jet tub. The fitting normally has a stop where a tube or pipe would be inserted to. This had to be removed and the inside diameter had to be increased for the pipe. I did this on my mini lathe. But I think it can be done with a 27/64ths drill. Anyway, This seem to be a good improvement over drilling out the cast iron plug and putting set screws in that.

The other difference is the shape of the air passages. I tried rounding the new ones. The size of the base rectangle is the same. I used a grinder to rough out the round shape. Then I filed it to round it out.

Interestingly enough, the jets ended up at about the same spot.It should be interesting to see if they behave the same when they are put in the forge.

No comments:

Post a Comment