Monday, September 19, 2011

When you're a jet ...


Here is what I think the gas jet is going to end up like.I've been trying to figure out a better way to do this since I drilled out the cast iron plugs. Getting a drill the same size as the pipe is almost impossible. If it were, the threads are rolled on a lot of these smaller pipes so the thread diameter ends up actually a little bigger than the pipe. Small problem when you are trying to get a tight fit around the body of the pipe. 
So I started thinking about the flare mentioned on one of the other burner sites. He slit a pipe nipple and screwed it into a coupling giving the inside of the the nipple a taper. So I thought that would be a good way to clamp the gas jet tube if I could find a combination of parts and slit whatever was screwing into a plug or reducer. So ... I dug out a 1/4 inch hose barb, drilled it out to 25/64ths, slit the remaining hollowed out "plug" in two directions and screwed it into a bushing. Put the gas jet pipe in there and cranked down the plug. Sure enough, it clamped down on the gas jet pipe. Solution! 

Well more on this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment