Friday, October 14, 2011

"The Toaster Project" - New Book

I just ordered a book called "The Toaster Project". This guy decided to build a toaster from raw materials. It got some interesting reviews. Sounds like the dude ended of with toast, but not a very serviceable toaster. It also sounds like he took a pretty extreme approach. Not even the first toaster maker started with raw materials.

It also sounds like he tried to take a bunch of short cuts and failed to study what he was doing very much. For instance there are some pictures of him trying to smelt steel in, as best I could see, a small blast furnace made out of a clay pipe. As anyone looking at the subject knows, just making a serviceable furnace of any type is a big job.

So, I'm thinking maybe it's time for a challenge. I have a pretty remarkable collection of tools at this point. Can I build a working toaster using tools available to me with my budget and using nothing more than stock sheet, rod, tube, pellet, powder, liquid, and wire materials. Modern "raw" materials if you will.

Well, something to think about anyway. First, I need to get this furnace on line.

No comments:

Post a Comment